A 16-year-old boy has been arrested and charged over a crash which left three people dead in South Australia’s south-east on Saturday.
- Three people in a Ford Territory died after the head-on crash on Saturday
- A 16-year-old driver has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving
- He will appear in Mount Gambier Youth Court on February 12
Police and emergency services were called to the Princes Highway at Suttontown, 5 kilometres west of Mount Gambier, at 12:30pm on Saturday after reports of a head-on crash.
The three occupants of a Ford Territory — two women and a man, all from Millicent — died at the scene.
Four occupants of the second car, a Toyota Landcruiser — a 16-year-old boy, a 48-year-old woman, a 13-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl — were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The fifth person in the Toyota was a 48-year-old Millicent woman who was airlifted to Flinders Medical Centre and remains in a serious but stable condition.
SA Police today confirmed “the surviving driver” had been arrested.
“This morning, Sunday, November 29, the driver of the Toyota, the 16-year-old teen, was arrested and charged with caused death by dangerous driving,” SA Police said in a media release.
The boy was bailed to appear in the Mount Gambier Youth Court on February 12.
Police are urging anyone who witnessed the crash and has not yet spoken to officers to contact Crime Stoppers.
The Princes Highway was closed for several hours yesterday while major crash investigators worked at the scene but has since reopened.
Yesterday, Limestone Coast officer in charge Superintendent Phil Hoff said the fatal crash was “an absolute tragedy”.
“Three people dead, here we are a month before Christmas,” he said.
“In the Limestone Coast this year, we haven’t had any lives lost on our road, none. In one fell swoop, three people have lost their lives and five others are being treated in hospital.”